Yummy Beer Can Chicken and Black Bean Salad



I am one of those people that automatically turns to the internet when wondering what to have for dinner. Its like my very own portable cookbook. Lately I've been really getting into cooking more and more so this is happening quite often. I find cooking so relaxing and I end up with a fab meal at the end so its a double win!!!

A few weeks ago I stumbled upon the beautiful Rosie from The Londoner and her amazing recipe for Beer Can Chicken. This is something I've been hearing more and more and have always wanted to try. So last week while racking my brain on what to serve the boys family for dinner (What a lovely girlfriend I am) I decided this Beer Can Chicken would be the best shout!


 Then came what to serve with it? When in doubt for a foodie recipe Pintrest is ALWAYS going to give you answers. Low and behold I found one of the most incredible salad recipes ever and I also found a new foodie website to go with it.


Skinny Taste is an amazing website full of healthy, low calorie and low fat recipes perfect for getting ready for bikini season or getting rid of that post holiday bulge. On pintrest I found the most incredible, and colourful salad ever. Skinny Taste's Southwestern Black Bean Salad is a must have. Since visiting South Carolina last year I've been dying to start cooking southern food and believe me now I have I definitely wont stop. 

For the incredible chicken I tweeked the original recipe to suit the tastes of the people I was cooking for. They aren't chilli people so I took out the Scotch Bonnet chills and the Rum purely because we didnt have any. I also added more honey for a more golden, crispy skin and more garlic just purely because I LOVE garlic. 

All you need for your rub is (by my terrible measurements) 
A Chicken 
4 Cloves of Garlic,
dash of all spice, 
big piece of ginger
Black Peppercorns 
Chilli Flakes. 
2 Tbsp of Malt Vinegar
5 Tbsp of Runny Honey
dash of All Spice
a handfull of chopped corriander
juice of 2 limes
some salt
2 Spring Onions
a dash of olive oil

I put all of the above ( excluding the chicken) into a bowl and mixed. Making sure the Spring onions, Garlic and Ginger are sliced thinly. I also crushed the Chillis and Pepper corns in my Jamie Oliver Shaker This is an essential kitchen must have for anyone trying to grind up spices. 
Or you can do what I did and get a guy to shake it for you:)


Then place Chicken onto a Half empty Beer Can 

Now its time to get your hands very very messy. Cover the chicken from neck to leg in your mixture ensuring both front and back are covered.



Then place him on a baking tray and cook standing up for 1 50 mins at 200 degrees. At about the hour mark we made a second batch of this and poured it all of the chicken. This just added to the flavour and ensured it did not dry up. 

Sadly my Sous Chef was a bit tired so I had to do the rest alone. 

While cooking your chicken prep your salad so its all ready the minute the chicken comes out. This is so tasty expect no resting time for the chicken.

This salad is the most colourful mix of flavours I've ever prepared.

In it you have,
2 or 3 tomatos
Red Onion
Spring Onions
Coriander
2 Avocados
Black Beans
Chilli
Corn
and a squeeze of lime

The best thing about this is that it can be done with whatever mix of veggies you have lying around the house.
Chop all of the vegetables and place into a serving bowl.



Right as the chicken is nearly ready use a griddle pan to mildly cook the cork and then heat up the black beans. This adds extra flavour to the disk

Serve with lime wedges on the side to be squeezed right before serving. It works as the best dressing trust me
Doesn't this just look incredible?




Then its time to take your chicken out of the the oven. Expect one of the most amazing smelling chicken in the world. It may look burnt but trust me its not. 

Now serve it all preferably in the sun , and of course with a glass of wine!! 




I know these salads are not my original recipes but I have tweaked them to my tastes and think they both go incredibly well

Let me know if your try them yourself. I'd love to hear what you think of them,


0 comments:

Post a Comment